I am a craftsman, a woodturner, sharing my time between turning for cabinet makers and creation. A job that requires great technical rigor and allows myself to move towards a more personal imagination.
Born in 1974 in Laval (Mayenne).
• Sculpture evening classes with Rémi Damien in 1995 and 1996.
• Engineering degree from the Ecole Supérieure du Bois (Nantes) in 1999.
• Determined to become an art craftsman, I then began an itinerant apprenticeship in the workshop of several woodturners, Jean-François Escoulen during 12 months, Luc Caquineau (6 months)…
• Apprenticeship of traditional turning.
• Thanks to AFTAB (French association of woodturning) and Jean-François Escoulen, I had the opportunity to attend professional workshops with several French and international woodturners.
• Creating my workshop in 2003.
• Teacher for the training center « Les Aliziers » and in my own workshop from 2003 to 2013 (beginners, advanced, long course).
• Teacher in the woodturning school Escoulen at Aiguines since 2013 (professional course for professional in March 2013).
• From 2014 I am working half-time as a teacher in the Escoulen school, and I carry on being a professional woodturner in my own workshop situated in the village of Aiguines.
• Trade shows of art craftsmen since 2006 : Saint Leu la Forêt (2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2013), Toulouse Art expo 2009 …
• Several of my creation pieces are in each itinerant exhibition organized by the AFTAB since 2002.
• Winner of the price « Jeunes créateurs » organised by « Ateliers d’Art de France » in 2009 and exhibition at Maison & Objet (Paris) in January 2010 and 2011.
• Talent Opera Gallery (Ateliers d’Art de France) in Paris.
• Invited as a demonstrator at the symposium of the Spanish turners in Galicia in 2005, 2009, 2013.
• Demonstrator at the symposium of AWGB (England) in August 2011.
• Price of the artists at the turning competition Bréville in 2011.
• Demonstrator at the symposium of the IWG (Ireland) in September 2012.
• First prize at the trembler contest organized by the Escoulen school in 2012.
• Demonstrator at « Les Petites Journées d’Aiguines » in May 2013, 2014 and 2017.
• Demonstrator in various clubs in Ireland (10 days) in October 2013 and 2015.
• Invited demonstrator at the AAW’s symposium in Atlanta in June 2016.
• Demonstrator in England in April 2017.
• Teacher in Quebec in October 2017.
See which are the courses Yann Marot gives at Escoulen woodturning school:
– the 5 months woodturning course (with Y. Marot and other teachers),
– advanced woodturning, on demand,
– 3 courses about specific skills (hollow form and how to have a good cut ; green wood ; games and toys),
– 1 course about is own creations.
Download the 2019 calendar.
Yann Marot’s website : www.yannmarot.com